The production tax credit (PTC) for wind energy was set to expire at the end of 2012. Without this tax incentive, major wind projects stalled because of uncertainty.
HPS was retained to:
- Execute a grasstops campaign targeting 13 Republican members of Congress
- Identify key influential leaders close to each congressional target to educate the elected official about the smart tax incentive
- Drive public statements of Republican support for the PTC to solidify their vote for an extension
HPS activated a national network of political operatives to immediately identify, recruit, and activate key influencers unique to each congressional target. In this role, HPS:
- Delivered instant on-the-ground results
- Used real-time reporting capabilities to quantitatively assess the level and nature of support to ensure unique messages and tactics
- Wrote letters from key influencers
- Conducted direct calls to the congressional targets
- Met with the target and senior staff
The American Wind Energy Association’s campaign ended successfully with the passage of the PTC in a final tax extenders bill for 2013.
HPS successfully acted as the “field manager,” relaying what was happening in congressional districts back to DC for real-time response.
- Political operatives executed nearly 200 unique and personal touches to the targets and/or senior staff members.
- Political operatives executed six direct meetings, 27 direct calls to the target, 59 calls to senior staff members, and more than 60 other interactions with senior staff members.